Barbecue fans have lots to be thankful about this holiday season. Not only has Franklin Barbecue reopened on the east side after a fire in late August, but the North Austin barbecue restaurant Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew is bringing back its annual 12 Days of Smoked Meats special.
Starting on Dec. 5, you can stop by Stiles Switch and treat a loved one to one of the restaurant’s off-menu dishes created for the 12 Days of Smoked Meat promotion. Stiles Switch is also offering smoked brisket and smoked pulled pork tamales that you can order online to enjoy during the holidays (because tamales this time of year are just about a perfect culinary treat).
Some of the meaty meals you’ll encounter at Stiles Switch from Dec. 5-16 this year? Owner Shane Stiles likes to offer items you can’t get any other time of the year — everything from smoked fried alligator to smoked brisket and sausage gumbo.
“We change the menu every year to keep it fun with a few very popular items sprinkled in that we only do once a year that stay (tamales, chicken fried beef rib, brisket meatloaf),” Stiles’ wife and the restaurant’s co-owner, Catherine Stiles, said via email. “This year is a little different as we have added a few guest chef collaborations with a few of our friends in the Austin culinary scene.”
These include Lenoir’s Todd Duplechan, who is serving as a partner in the Stiles’ new restaurant concept opening in Dripping Springs. He’ll be collaborating with Stiles Switch on that smoked brisket and sausage gumbo dish, a nod to his Louisiana roots, on Dec. 9. New restaurant owners Philip Speer of Bonhomie and Callie Speer of Holy Roller will also participate in the 12 Days of Smoked Meats.
Here’s a list of the daily offerings. To order the tamales for pick-up Dec. 21-23, visit the Stiles Switch website.
- Dec. 5: Smoked tri-tip fajitas with chips and Tacodeli queso
- Dec. 6: “The Smoked Brentwood Burrito” by Philip Speer
- Dec. 7: “The Dirty Chop,” smothered pork steak over dirty rice
- Dec. 8: Brisket meatloaf with buttermilk mashed potatoes
- Dec. 9: Smoked brisket and sausage gumbo by Duplechan
- Dec. 10: Smoked fried alligator with Cajun corn on the cob
- Dec. 12: Brisket meatball sub with smoked marinara
- Dec. 13: Prime rib with horseradish cream sauce
- Dec. 14: Biscuits and smoked bacon gravy with pulled pork by Callie Speer
- Dec. 15: Chicken fried beef rib with tater tot casserole
- Dec. 16: Pitmaster Bill’s Brisket Chili
Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew, located at 6610 N. Lamar Blvd., will also have daily beer pairings to go along with each of these creations.