It’s getting dark earlier in the day thanks to daylight saving time, but for nine days this month, part of downtown will be extra bright. Creek Show — the Waller Creek Conservancy’s free, family-friendly art experience— is back for its fourth year. From 6 to 10 p.m. Nov. 10-18, you can take your own walking tour of six new lighted, site-specific art installations along the creek between Fifth and Eighth streets, all created by local designers.
Art and the revitalization of the Waller Creek area remain the event’s focus, but each year Creek Show grows more popular and adds even more things to do. Here’s a rundown of activities you can do while you enjoy the dazzling displays.
- If you’d like an early peek and a chance to support the conservancy financially, check out the First Light preview party fundraiser at 6 p.m. Nov. 9. Tickets for this inaugural event are $150, and you get a private look at the show, entertainment and refreshments. Find out more at wallercreek.org.
- Creek Show opens to the public Nov. 10; that night, a DJ will spin tunes as you stroll creekside.
- There are hands-on activities for the whole family every night from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Sabine Tree Deck on Waller Creek at Seventh Street.
- The Creek Show Lounge, at 700 E. Sixth St., will feature interactive entertainment, a photo booth and more. You can also pick up a Creek Show wristband, which gives you food and drink specials from certain businesses in the Red River Cultural District.
- Meet the design teams at the Creek Show Artist Talk, led by arts critic Jeanne Claire Van Ryzin, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Nov. 14 at the Palm Door on Sabine. Get to know the people behind the works and enjoy snacks and drinks; it’s all free, but an RSVP is required at eventbrite.com/e/2017-creek-show-artist-talk-tickets-39124082183.
- Love bikes and art? You’ll want to wheel along with Art Ride Creekside on Nov. 18. The ride starts at 2:45 p.m. at Laguna Gloria, then travels to Shoal Creek to see “Mystic Raven” by David Deming, then on to “Forever Bicycles” by Ai Weiwei beside the Waller Creek Boathouse before wrapping up at Creek Show.
- Party for a good cause at the Generation Waller Monster Bash, from 6 to 9 p.m. Nov. 16 at the Gatsby, or the Creek Show Closing Party from 6 to 9 p.m. Nov. 18 at Cheer Up Charlies. Both are free, and the closing party is all-ages.
These renderings give you a peek of what’s in store at Creek Show: